The Ancient Ritual of Tongue Cleaning
by: wme_admin on
Dental hygiene is way up there on my high properties of self-care. Not only am I a keen flosser.. (who doesn’t floss?) I am a ritual tongue scrapper. I was talking to a friend the other day about my habitual morning routine and they looked at me like I was a crazy person. This inspired me to give you the low down on how and why you need to give it a go.
Where did tongue cleaning originate?
Tongue scrapping is an ancient self-care Ayurvedic ritual, it is believed people who practice tongue cleaning are more expressive and thoughtful, better public speakers and more sincere and authoritative conversationalists.
Once again what was old has become new again!
What are the benefits of this ancient ritual?
- Removes bacteria that builds up on the tongue that can cause bad breath.
- It helps prevents cavities and promotes tooth and gum health as it assists in removing built up bacteria from food and drink that can cause gum infections and tooth decay.
- Fewer toxins are going to be absorbed into your body therefore boosting your immunity.
- Cleaning your tongue on a daily basis can help reduce food cravings.
- Re-energize your taste buds and experience new taste sensations of lighter healthier food that previously tasted bland, which may assist in fat loss.
How to use a tongue cleaner?
- First thing in the morning before breakfast scrape your tongue in a downward motion, applying slight pressure.
- Rinse under running water and repeat until there is no residue.
- Brush teeth as usual and rinse.
- Repeat when you brush your teeth at night.
These are usually u-shaped. Stainless steel is easy to clean. It is said to be more comfortable and gentler on the tongue than plastic. Click on the link below to purchase.
These have a long handle like a toothbrush and very small fine plastic fibers that clean the tongue. Click on the link below to purchase.
I guarantee once you start tongue scrapping you will love it. Besides the wonderful health benefits, your mouth will feel cleaner and be fresher than ever!
Leave a comment and let me know if your keen to give it a try!